Sunday, July 14, 2013

Side Splits and the Liver


www.nlm.nih.gov

Fellow blog challenger, Kit, authored a great blog about side splits and his recovery from a flattening mystery virus today; see HERE.  I have written at least twice about side splits training, and it would be fair enough to question why the hell all the fuss about something that doesn't offer too much functional benefit to most humans?

Well, there are a few of reasons I do it.  Firstly; it is the most restricted range of motion in my body, so from a sensory awareness and bodymind re-mapping perspective (gaining a total body map) there is a lot of 'gold' awaiting the work and exploration of this area.

I have also noted that, whilst this location does not give the spectacularly tangible benefits of, say, stretching the hip flexors properly; it does do something beneficial when I do it (it almost feels systemically beneficial).  The day after a good side splits stretching session I have enhanced awareness of my legs; various systemic changes and a greater feeling of lightness and connectedness in my body as a whole.. not really things you can measure, but that does not bother me in the slightest as I walk around feeling awesome.

Third; I've never done it and I want to be able to (and get that photo with gi-pants on, doing the splits between two chairs; beautiful wife sitting on my leg).

curador.weebly.com


Another point, a little bit odd to consider for some, is the possible health and organ linkages of this area via Chinese medicine.  The area affected in side splits is the Spleen; Kidney and Liver channels; depending upon how you rotate the femur and tibia.  If you have awareness of you internal organs, doing stretches becomes a very interesting practice.

The Liver channel is on the wood element meridian, and governs the 'tendons' according to Chinese medicine (among other things, including a relationship to governing blood and possibly viruses in blood, which would be interesting from Kit's perspective), which I find quite interesting too. Again, that bamboo metaphor for wood and suppleness and strength could be applied here.  Maybe this is where my anger goes to, as that is the emotion linked to this channel..?  I sure feel an intense and anger-like sensation when I'm in this position for long enough! Interestingly I get liver fascia and organ sensations often when I do side splits. Maybe it's just my body, you'll have to try and see. 

From a Tom Myer's Anatomy Trains' perspective, this stretch effects the all important Deep Front Line, especially if you know how to add in the bandhas and various deep abdominal and pelvic floor contractions and lumbar spine subtle micro movements. 

It really is fucking cool to keep as full a body awareness as possible and slow down your breathing during stretches (and during daily life!). It's not the type of 'try once or twice' type of deal.  It's a practice.  It's possible that you may need other practices too; to get the interoception and visceroception up to scratch.  I have found many subtle things to be present, if you are silent enough during stretching. You really are filled with wonderment at the body and it's seemingly ever increasing richness of sensation.  All I can say is to practice for thyself and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments only please.