Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Deconstructing Last Workout

On Sunday, around lunchtime, I had one of (if not the) best workouts of the year(!).  The workout was as follows:


A1) Deadhang weighted Chin-ups w 20kg KB:  3 sets x 7, 7, 6.
A2) One-leg Squat 10 second eccentrics w 20kg: 3 sets (alternating legs) - 3, 3, 3
A3) Turkish Get-Ups w 20kg (overhead squat style): 3 x 3 reps each side

B1) Bent Press w 20kg: 3 x 3 reps each side
B2) Swing Complex w 20kg: 10 x 2-hand; 10 x L; 10 x R; Side swings 5 x each side. [3 cycles]  



The workout went about double the time I've been taking this year - ~45 minutes.  I had about 4 minutes rest between each 'A' cycle..walking around the park, enjoying the sun.   

A few notes: 
• Dead hang (slow and enjoying) Chin-ups with weight are such an awesome exercise.  So much of the body gets involved.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm also liking doing pull-up ladders in my other workout.  

•  Eccentric only weighted pistols (one legged squats) are a really good external hip rotator; glute medius (yes it externally rotators too); adductor and pelvic floor stabilization exercise - besides the quad/glute/hamstring work. Actually, the dynamic interplay between the stabilization muscles and the prime movers is one of the great things about this exercise.  

• Bent presses are awesome!  The novel stabilization effect of the lats; teres group; serratus anterior; QL; etc. - feels really 'healthy'. They actually feel better on my shoulders than military presses. 

• Getting back into Turkish Get-ups was fantastic.  20kg is lighter than I would normally do, but it was decently heavy, and still light enough to play around with psoas and transverse abdominus activation stuff on the way up, and do a weighted spinal wave on the way down.  

I actually think what makes TGU's so awesome is you can do them light as a conditioning exercise (timed sets); Heavy 'Tonic' workout primer; Medium weight movement exploration and activation/body-awareness with some time under tension work.  Awesome movement pattern. 

• Side swings are cool..am still a bit un-co with them.  More practice is necessary. 

The day after (Monday) I was 'virtuously' sore in all the right places.  Today (Tuesday), I had some glutes and hamstring DOMS kick in (and used it during walking today).  

If anyone gives the workout a go, PM me and let me know how it feels in your body.  

I'm going to try it again this Sunday, and see if it has the same awesome effect. 


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I may try this! I'll drag Luke in to the ANU have a go too. We're training together atm. He's finally keen to do stuff! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this one last night:

    5 Cycles of 3 exercises back-to-back
    A1) Deadhang Weighted Chin-ups w 20kg KB: 5 sets of 6 reps (rest-pause for reps 5 and 6 in the last 3 sets)
    A2) Pistols w 20kg KB: 5 sets of 3 reps (eccentric 10 second reps)
    A3) TGU w 20kg (Turkish Half-ups for sets 3,4 & 5) [L;R]: 3,3,5,4,3

    3 cycles of 2 exercises back-to-back
    B1) Bent Press w 20kg KB [L;R]: 3,4,5 reps
    B2) Swing Complex w 20kg: 10 double; 10 Left; 10 Right; 5 reps each side for Side Swings.

    It was awesome, too. Really nice little workout.
    D

    ReplyDelete

Constructive comments only please.