Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Timed Static Contraction (TSC) protocol

Hello and welcome, I thought I'd kick off my blog with a piece on the TSC method that I, and others at The Monkey Gym (TMG) in Canberra have been playing around with in recent months. 

At the beginning of this year I was introduced to the Timed Static Contraction (TSC) protocol of isometric strength training by Steve Maxwell (who kindly put me through a brutal 8 minute workout, using a handful of very basic holds).

I've been playing around with this, and other, isometric methods for the first quarter of 2013, and have to say I'm getting some great results.

Training circa late March/early April finds me adding some heavy, low rep strength work back in to my training - with one workout heavy weight/low rep, one workout medium weight but high intensity (TSC and long hold (60 seconds plus)) isometrics.

My feelings are that this mix (one day heavy; one day high intensity iso's - and the other days medium or light) will work very well and produce some new PB's.

I have already PB'd in chin-ups this year (17 reps being the most in my adult life).  One of my goals for this year's training is 20 reps by June.  This new record came after doing extremely low volume of actual chins - but using TSC and embedded statics to work on weak points.

The basic premise for the TSC method is you pick a medium level resistance (bodyweight or weight or whatever), and apply this formula:

30 seconds of holding a moderate contraction (some authors say a perceived 50%). 

30 seconds of squeezing near maximally and as whole body as possible.
30 seconds of all out maximal contraction.  

Followed by 5 reps of only the eccentric portion of the movement pattern you held the static contraction in - so if you held an single leg squat, you do eccentric single leg squats (SLS's); a push-up hold, push-up eccentrics, etc..  oh yeah, and the eccentrics are 10 seconds slow and controlled in perfect form. 

The 90 seconds alone is pretty hard if you pick an exercise at the correct level of progression for your body - but with the escalating contractions it is *intense*!  The first time I tried it with chin-ups (held at that point just above 90°..you know the place) my lats got the most amazingly full contraction and the muscle irradiation in the final 30 seconds was huge.  My triceps (especially long head extending the humerus) were pretty much cramping, as were a lot of other adjacent muscles. 

This method produces quite nice DOMS in some people (as indicate in my own body and via the amount of hate mail I got from people in Canberra after people tested it at TMG there!).  The TSC protocol is not really a beginner method, and needs to have the correct level of exercise progression to work optimally and safely.   

I find the protocol works really well with body-weight rows; crocodile push-ups; single leg 'Skater' squats (double leg for people if single leg work is too hard, or knee/ankle/hip issues) - and other 'medium' level exercises.  For non-bodyweight exercise I have tried a 28kg kettlebell for bent over rows, which worked well, too. Chin-up holds are too hard for most people to do well (i.e keep form).

One final aspect that Steve stressed that I thought was super cool, was the equanimity aspect.  Whilst the natural urge in this method is to grimace; cuss; groan and panic breath - Steve stressed the importance of breathing nasally, or in the Systema replenishing way when the sensations became too intense; and to keep 'happy face' (aka no grimacing).. this is harder than it sounds when the muscles feel for all intents and purposes like they are going to spontaneously combust!


D.



1 comment:

  1. "Hate mail" is a bit strong; it was just that men could't lift their arm to shave and women couldn't do their hair...

    Just kidding; it is a great protocol, for sure (and as you note, supremely time efficient).

    ReplyDelete

Constructive comments only please.